Tuesday, 4 February 2014
Creamy Cucumber Salad
One of the side dishes that I absolutely love is cucumber salad! Since moving to America I've got to try a host of different takes on the dish, but I really liked the look of a recipe on Barefoot Contessa for Creamy Cucumber Salad. So I gave it a try, and it really is delicious! And so easy to make - which is always a bonus :)
2 cucumbers, thinly sliced (I used British cucumbers)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced in half rounds
2 cups (16 oz) plain whole-milk yogurt
1/2 cup (4 oz) sour cream
1 tbsp vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar, the original recipe calls for white wine vinegar)
1/4 cup minced fresh dill
black pepper to taste
1. Mix the sliced cucumbers and red onion in a bowl with 3/4 tbsp salt. Pour the mixture into a collander and suspend over a bowl. Cover the whole thing with plastic wrap, and put it into the fridge for at least 4 hours, or overnight, to drain into the bowl.
2. Line a sieve with a paper towel and pour yogurt into it. Suspend over another bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and put it into the fridge for at least 4 hours, or overnight, to drain into the bowl.
3. Discard the collected liquid from both bowls.
4. Roll the cucumbers in paper towels to remove more of the remaining liquid. Then put them into a large bowl with the yogurt, and sour cream, dill, vinegar, and salt and peper to taste (we didn't add any extra salt or pepper). Mix together thoroughly and place in the fridge for a couple of hours to let the flavours blend - we found that the leftovers of ours tasted even better the next day!
5. Serve chilled and enjoy :)
This will be my post for this week's Hearth & Soul Blog Hop :) Be sure to check out the other recipes on there this week and follow my blog for more tasty treats!
I'm also on Foodie Friday this week too :)